Tuesday, February 8, 2011

001: Faux Bonsai

Here it is.  The very first weekly flower therapy.

I went to Crate and Barrel in Lincoln Park the other day.  I always love their flower section but never had the gut to buy anything from there because their flowers are REALLY expensive.  But that day, I was there holding my son, and an elder gentleman walked up to me and commented that my son is very cute.  We chatted a bit, then he started to pick up some flowers from the buckets.  So I guess in a way, he encouraged me to pick up something for myself as well.  However, I didn't want to spend $50 for a bouquet of flowers, which happens all the time if you want really nice ones.  Instead, I just started picking one stem of whatever I liked and kind of made an instant arrangement there in the store.  I started with a tall element, which was a plum branch.  I then added some greens like Hypericum buds.  Then I figured that it definitely needed more blossoms and I found these super chic dark purple Spray Mums.  And that was just under $10 before tax (that means it went over $10 after crazy Chicago sales tax but since this is my first time, I think this still fits my concept...).  While I was picking those flowers, I already had an idea which "vase" I should use.  It is a small piece of Japanese pottery that my mother gave me, whose outside surface is deep red and inside surface has an abstract pattern in very soft pastel colors.  I also remembered I had a pin frog that I bought from Japan and barely used it, so I was pretty psyched about using it.  And voila.  The idea was to create an illusion of "bonsai" with cut plants, and I think it worked pretty well for my first attempt.

I hope you enjoyed the first installment of my weekly flower therapy and I hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment